HOTEL PONT ROYAL, PARIS
History of the Pont Royal, hotel in the heart of Saint-Germain-des-Prés
HOTEL PONT ROYAL
The history of the Pont Royal Hotel in Paris 7th disctrict, hotel in the heart
of the Latin Quarter in Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Frequented by renowned writers and free spirits, stories abound at our historic hotel. Discover them all here, by dates.
The Hotel Pont Royal opened in 1923 by Mr. and Mrs. Desgardins (Parents of Lucie Soalhat) in order to convince their son-in-law not to move to Venezuela.
The hotel was occupied by the government from 1940 to 1944. During this period, Robert Soalhat created the Bar of the Pont Royal (located in the basement of the building), famous for its frequentation to the writers of the editions “Gallimard”, “La Table Ronde” and “Le Seuil”.
The bar will be frequented by: Roger NIMIEZ, Jacques LAURENT, Antoine BLONDIN, called “les HUSSARDS”, Romain GARY, Alphonse BOUDARD, and Jean Paul SARTRE and Simone de BEAUVOIR (tired of being bothered by tourists at the “Café de Flore”, they decided to come at the Pont Royal). The hotel will then become one of the most famous “literary” places in Paris.
In 1946 the hotel has some renovation works as construction of connecting rooms and renovation works on the basement of the building. Thanks to this work, the hotel was able to organise some meetings and literary cocktails.
Renovation work on the sixth floor.
From 1958 - 1989, Robert Soalhat was the manager of the Pont Royal with his two sons Pierre and Jacques, his daughter Monique, and son in law Jean Pierre Chabert.
In 1963, Robert Soalhat died; the hotel will be managed by his two sons. After the death of Pierre in 1989, Jacques decided to sell the hotel.
From 1999 – 2014, Hotel Pont Royal became part of a French collection called “Hôtels et Résidence du Roy”. Majour renovations were engaged during 2 years in 1999.
Flagship of the French Group Maranatha, newly owner after the sale of the family group "Hotels and Residence du Roy".
Bought by Colony Capital, all the charm of a boutique hotel steeped in history.
HISTORY OF THE BAR SIGNATURE